Monday, January 19, 2009

Doing Better

"Well, I could be better", was what I said to everyone last weekend because I felt so crummy.  I just didn't know how to respond to the common question that everyone so typically asks, how are you?  I realized I was still saying that when friends would call or if I met someone at the doctor's office for the first time but it's not an appropriate response anymore!  Of course, I could be better, for nothing is perfect.  I decided I need to respond by saying "So much better!"  This helps me see all the positive progress I've made in the past week even though it's not as much as I'd like to see (no pun intended).

I started the steroid pack on Saturday, 3 days ago, and by that evening I could feel a big improvement in how I felt.  
  1. The tenderness in my head has almost disappeared.
  2. I'm not dizzy or off balance nearly as much
  3. It feels more normal to open both eyes and look around even though I still see double
  4. My appetite has returned
  5. I'm up all day instead of in bed
  6. It's much easier to ride in the car and not feel motion sickness
  7. I was able to enjoy A.J. and Julia's birthday party at a friend's house.
  8. I can actually see Micah up close without him being blurry or seeing two of him
  9. My droopy eyelid seems to be operating more normally.
  10. Micah doesn't seem to be showing any negative signs from the steroids I'm taking.
So many people have been so encouraging during all of this.  I'm so surprised how many have had some major surgeries or tests run for abnormal conditions.  Our pastor just told me he had a CT scan last Friday at the same facility I will be going to.  He was able to explain a little of what I will experience.  It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone.  Many have walked this journey before me.  One friend told me today that my condition, although listed "rare", others have had or they wouldn't have a name for it!  I chuckled to myself, how true.  Another friend said "Don't decide to die before the doctors have told you that your dying!"  Laughter is such good medicine for me right now.  Thanks guys!

You can continue to pray for the tests that will be run on Wednesday at 11:30.  My prayer is that there won't be anything serious behind all this.  Please pray that the positive results from the steroids will continue and that weaning off of them will not bring all the discomforts back again.  Please pray for my family that they will be sensitive to my needs and the needs of each other.  I need them to choose love and kindness over strife in our home.

I'd like to close with a hymn that has ministered to me the past few days.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.

Walking by faith,
Kristin

No comments: